Scholarships and Financial Aid
The Pittsburgh CLO Academy believes that children should have the opportunity to follow their dreams. We are proud to offer two unique programs dedicated to developing the talents of young performers, and turning that dream into a reality.
2018-2019 Scholarship and Mini Star Auditions
The CLO Academy awards merit-based scholarships between 25%-100%, as well as two full-tuition scholarship in honor of the Academy's founder, Charles Gray, and William A. Maffie. These scholarships are awarded based on an evaluation of artistic merit (audition) and an essay submission, and are available for the Fall and Spring semesters only.
The Pittsburgh CLO Mini Stars is an exclusive group of students selected yearly that serve as ambassadors to the Pittsburgh CLO and CLO Academy throughout the year. These 12 individuals are exposed to more rigorous training, performance experience, behind-the-scenes processes and constructive networking skills such as public speaking, public relations, social media etiquette and personal marketing management.
Applications for the 2018-2019 Scholarship & Mini Star auditions will be made available in July.
2018-2019 Financial Aid Awards
Financial aid is available for qualifying families and is based on financial need.
Financial Aid is available for the Fall and Spring Semesters only.
2018-2019 Financial Aid Applications will be made available in July.
The CLO Academy awards merit-based scholarships between 25%-100%, as well as two full-tuition scholarship in honor of the Academy's founder, Charles Gray, and William A. Maffie. These scholarships are awarded based on an evaluation of artistic merit (audition) and an essay submission.
- Available to students ages 8-18 attending the Children’s School, Student School, and/or Pre-Professional School.
- Multiple Class discounts to not apply to students who receive financial aid or scholarship.
- Work study is required for all scholarship recipients about 75%.
- Open to students ages 8-18
- Individual merit-based scholarships:
- 25%, 50%, 75% or 100% tuition discounts
- Two Named Full-Tuition Scholarships
- William A. Maffie- performing arts advocate
For a sophomore, junior or senior that is versatile, disciplined, and talented, who is committed to the arts and plans to pursue a career in the performing arts.
- Charles Gray- CLO Academy founder and arts education enthusiast
For a sophomore, junior or senior that exudes potential and represents versatility, discipline, and talent.
- William A. Maffie- performing arts advocate
- Scholarship cannot be combined with any other Academy Scholarships or Financial Aid.
- Multiple class and private lesson discounts do not apply to students on scholarship or financial aid.
- Scholarship is awarded for full-year only.
- Scholarship cannot be applied to private lessons.
- If scholarship is awarded, the maximum discount available to be applied toward any production class such as MT Production or All-Academy Musical is 25%.
- All scholarships awarded at 75% or higher are considered work study scholarships.
- Work study scholarship students are required to work three hours every Saturday at the CLO Academy. Hours to be arranged between student and Principal.
- More than 4 unexcused absences per semester can result in losing one’s scholarship.
About the Mini Stars Program
Students audition for this professional development program designed for Grades 6–12. This exclusive group of students are exposed to quality training, performance experience, behind the scenes process and constructive networking skills such as public speaking, public relations, social media etiquette and personal marketing management.
In addition to the rehearsal and performance aspects of the program, CLO Mini Stars are required to take a certain number of classes and serve as ambassadors to the CLO at various functions throughout the year.
- Open to any interested student entering 6th -12th grade who excels in any or all of the following areas is eligible to audition: acting, singing and dance.
- Mini Stars must represent the highest standard of excellence as an ambassador to the CLO including class attendance, talent, behavior, appearance, respect for others, and value of the program.
- Mini Stars Scholarships are determined through an audition process and an essay submission.
- Enrollment Requirements:
- Mini Stars receive a 100% tuition scholarship to attend the CLO Academy.
- Must register for four mandatory classes including (1) Ballet, (1) Jazz, (1) Audition Technique or Acting, and (1) additional Elective class of your choice (Acting, Dance or Voice).
- Mini Star Scholarship cannot be applied to private lessons or master classes.
- Mini Stars are required to participate in MT Production and all Master Classes at the Pittsburgh CLO Academy.
- Rehearsals for MT Production begin August 21. Performances are September 9 & 10, 2017.
- Mini Stars are required to participate in professional performance opportunities, including but not limited to board meetings, private parties, and CLO special events and fundraisers.
- Mini Stars are required to assist and participate in professional development opportunities, including but not limited to social media promotions for Summer Season and various CLO shows, assist with the Gene Kelly Awards and appear at CLO community outreach events such as the Children’s Theater Festival, Great Race and Three Rivers Arts Festival.
- Must attend all mandatory rehearsals and performances.
For more information about the CLO Mini Stars, click here.
Financial Aid is available to qualifying families and is based on financial need. The guidelines below outline our expectations for Financial Aid students.
- Any CLO Academy student who meets the income guidelines and submits a completed application packet by the deadline will be considered for financial aid assistance.
- Financial aid can only be applied to Children's School, Student School, or Pre-Professional School classes. Financial aid cannot be applied to private lessons, workshops, mast classes, etc.
- Financial aid cannot be combined with any Academy scholarships, including but not limited to merit-based scholarships and Mini Star scholarships.
- If financial aid is awarded, the maximum discount available to be applied toward any production class such as MT Production or All-Academy Musical is 25%.
- Multiple class and private lesson discounts do not apply to students who receive financial aid.
- No audition is necessary to receive financial aid.
- All students must re-apply for financial aid in the fall of each year prior to the start of class. Past awards do not guarantee future financial aid.
Attendance & Conduct:
- Regular attendance is mandatory to maintain financial aid.
Excessive absenteeism will result in the loss of the financial aid.
- Four excused absences will be permitted per semester.
- Please have school musicals and other CLO events cleared ahead of time with the school Principal. Exceptions will be made for medical and family emergencies.
- Students are expected to behave in a responsible and respectful manner at all times. Poor conduct will result in the loss of financial aid.
- Print the financial aid application below, and gather tax returns, proof of income and, if applicable, documentation of Federal Assistance.
- Complete the Academy Registration form and $25 registration fee.
- Provide two clearly marked schedules:
- Class Schedule One: the classes you would like to take should you receive financial assistance.
- Class Schedule Two: the classes you would like to take in the event you do not receive financial assistance.
- A typed letter outlining your reasons for requesting financial assistance.
Mail completed Financial Aid Application and materials to:
Pittsburgh CLO Academy Financial Aid
Attn: Catherine Kolos, Admissions Coordinator
130 CLO Academy Way, 8th Floor
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
Incomplete Applications will not be considered.
The scholarships below are offered in conjunction with the Gene Kelly Awards for Excellence in High School Musical Theater.
- Gene Kelly Awards Cash Scholarships
- CLO Ambassadors’ Scholarships
- CLO Guild/ Constance T. Rockwell Schoalrship
- Point Park University Scholarships
- La Roche College Dance Scholarship
- Seton Hill University Scholarship
Please visit our Gene Kelly Scholarships page for more information and to apply.
Recognizing the achievements of local high school seniors pursuing a further education in the performing arts.
These scholarships were named for the late Connie Rockwell, who founded the Pittsburgh CLO Guild in 1953 and played a valuable leadership role in the local theater arts community for more than 50 years. They are awarded annually to deserving local high school seniors, in keeping with Mrs. Rockwell’s desire to recognize, encourage and support talented high school students who want to pursue an education and a career in the performing arts.
High school seniors who want to pursue a college education in the theater arts are encouraged to apply. Scholarships are issued in a minimum amount of $4,000 and are awarded based on talent, financial need, scholastic merit and school and community involvement. Prior to submitting a scholarship application, the student must have applied to an accredited college, university or conservatory that offers a four-year program with a requisite audition. After reviewing the applications, the Scholarship Committee interviews and auditions each semi-finalist.
The CLO Guild Scholarships are awarded in the spring at the Gene Kelly Awards. All are welcome - you do not have to be a Gene Kelly participant to apply.
For more information about the CLO Guild/Constance T. Rockwell Scholarship, call Scholarship Chair Patti Matty Blenko at 412-835-4579.
2018 application materials are now available:
Q: Can I apply for both Financial Aid and a Scholarship?
A: Yes. You may apply for both.
Q: Can I receive both a scholarship and Financial Aid award?
A: No. You may receive one or the other, but not both.
Q: Can I receive multiple class discounts if I receive Financial Aid or a Scholarship?
A: No. Discounts do not apply to students receiving Financial Aid or a Scholarship.
Q: Are there any classes that Financial Aid or scholarships are not applied to?
A: Yes. Financial Aid and scholarships do not apply to private lessons, master classes, All Academy Musical or MT Production.
Q: Can my 5-year-old daughter audition for a Scholarship?
A: No. Scholarships are only for students 10-18 years old, enrolling in either the Student School or the Pre-Professional School.
Q: Does Financial Aid/Scholarship only apply towards one semester?
A: Financial Aid/Scholarships allocations are for a full school year, Fall and Spring.
Q: Is there any Financial Aid or Scholarships for the Summer Programs?
A : No. Financial Aid and Scholarships are only offered during the regular school year.
Q: May I apply for Financial/Scholarship more than one time?
A: Yes. You may apply every Fall.
Q: If I receive Financial Aid for one year do I have to re-apply again for the following year?
A: Yes. You must reapply every year during the Fall semester.